Armenian American Mental Health Association (AAMHA) is a non-profit organization, started in 2006 and officially incorporated in April 2009. It represents individuals of Armenian descent in psychiatry, psychology, marriage and family therapy, social work and other providers of mental health services. AAMHA’s vision is to be strong advocates for mental health in the Armenian American community. Its mission is to provide support to individuals, agencies and organizations that offer mental health services to the Armenian American community and promote utilization of mental health services to those who need it; improve existing mental health services for Armenian Americans; and provide leadership in the expansion of culturally relevant mental health services for the Armenian American community. Its goal is in the advancement of mental health as a professional practice and the dissemination of psychological knowledge through meetings, professional contacts, research, reports, papers, discussions and publications. AAMHA aspires at the establishment and maintenance of the highest standards of professional ethics and conduct in the field of mental health.
– To provide support to individuals, agencies and organizations that offer mental health services to the Armenian community and to promote utilization of mental health services to those who need it.
– To be strong advocates for mental health in the Armenian community.
– To help and empower the Armenian community in a challenging social environment.
– To believe in the process of healing and recovery as an outcome of treatment.
– To respect cultural differences and the impact of culture on individual world view.
– To maintain high professional standards.
– To help in resolving Armenian identity conflicts relating to the problems of integration.
– To believe in the value of prevention through mental health education and information.
– Provide leadership in assessing the mental health needs of the Armenian community.
– Promote mental health research in the Armenian community.
– Promote training of mental health professionals.
– Develop educational programs about mental health for the Armenian community.
– Inform the Armenian community about available mental health resources.
– Help initiate the development and organization of mental health services to meet the needs of the Armenian community.
– Provide a forum for professional discussion, consultation, referrals, exchange of clinical information, networking and mutual support in specialized areas of mental health services.
– To attend general membership meetings and Board meetings regularly.
– To develop programs of public speaking and media presentations on mental health issues for the members and for the public.
– To organize social events for the members and for fundraising.
– To offer CEUs, publish a newsletter and organize conferences.
– To provide professional support to students and interns in the mental health field.
– To initiate and sponsor research on the Armenian community.
– To collaborate with other organizations on events relating to health and mental health.
– To develop a directory for the members.
– To create a website.
AAMHA is the outcome of a growing need to bring together professionals involved in the field of mental health to assist the expanding needs of the Armenian American community. Interested in becoming a member with Armenian American Mental Health Association? Click the buttons to the right to find out more about member benefits.